I just recently received a few hundred pages of emails from Estela Lopez, voodoo queen of the Central City East Association, and they are available on Archive.Org and also directly from static storage. Most of it is the unmitigatedly tedious bullshit with which these BIDdies fill their lives and their inboxes, but, as usual, there are a few interesting items. I already wrote the other day about Estela Lopez’s aggressive foray into CPRAlandia, and here are a few other items that are worth looking at individually:
- Estela Lopez flirting with LAPD Sgt. Michael Flanagan — by calling him “Sarge.” Doesn’t it just make your knees etc. go all ooshly-gooshly when badge-BIDdies call cops by overly familiar swackety-swickety-nackety-nicknames? Our beloved Ms. Kerry Morrison is famous for this. Something about heavily armed protectors of the property rights of zillionaires brings it out of them, I guess.
- Batty little fusspot Blair Besten to E. Lopez on a recent CPRA decision — by the California Supreme Court making it very clear that public records on private devices are still public records. I’m glad to see Blair Besten is keeping up with the laws on public records. If only she would start following the laws as well as keeping up with them! Note also how she doesn’t need to explain to Estela why she’s sending this information. She’s sending it because of me.
- A long discussion between E. Lopez, General Jeff — and Mike Fong of DONE about meeting locations for the Skid Row Neighborhood Council thing, with Estela Lopez demonstrating her characteristically poker-faced ice-water-veined terroristic civility. We’re not envisioning her as the Wicked Queen just randomly, you know.
And turn the page for two more examples, and to learn why, which I bet you didn’t even know that they were doing, the LAPD was praying for rain in January!
- Long discussion between E. Lopez and Megan Teramoto — who is a Huizar staffer, about cleaning up a homeless encampment at 927 S. Stanford Avenue in the DIDBID that is not covered by Operation Healthy Streets. I’ve covered similar Council-District expedited cleanups before. They please the constituents, surely, sometimes even to the point of serious indiscretion, and occasionally they turn out to involve illegal behavior on the part of Council staff. Perhaps that’s what’s going on with Megan Teramoto? We shall certainly find out eventually!
- The Sarge himself, explaining to a bunch of anxious BIDdies — why LAPD even allows protests to take place Downtown instead of crushing them in the womb like cops are supposed to do. To paraphrase his answer: “Well, ladies, the law says we have to but don’t worry, we have a lot of cops out there to bust heads and protect your property interests. Hopefully it will rain and they’ll all go home.” This one is so interesting and both so intrinsically stupid and so indicative of the stupidity of the as-yet unrevealed conversation that it’s a part of that I just have to quote it in its entirety below. And also, I’m signing off. As always, stay tuned for more bad BIDdittude!
From: Michael Flanagan <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2017 12:01 PM
To: Blair Bestin (email@example.com); Brian Raboin (firstname.lastname@example.org); Ellen Endo (email@example.com); Ellen Riotto; Estela Lopez; George Yu; Miguel Vargas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subject: Upcoming Protests
I hope this email finds you well. I have received numerous inquiries on why we allow people to take over the downtown area during protests. A follow-up question, why doesn’t the Police Department object to these protests and marches. The Chief of Police has taken a stance that we will not object to any First Amendment Rights protests or marches. They are essentially approved before we get them. All we ask is that the permit puller complies with the Bureau of Street Maintenance rules.
You can ensure your constituents that we have more than adequate resources to handle anything in the DTLA. Every entity of the Department is in uniform and at the stand-by. We have hundreds of officers on stand-by in various locations within the Downtown area to respond. I have directed by Senior Lead Officers to patrol your BID area and pay close attention to the vulnerable areas and the BID headquarters especially.
Hopefully, it will continue to rain and the crowds will be small.
If you have any problems, please feel free to call me.
Sergeant II Mike Flanagan
Los Angeles Police Department
Officer in Charge
Senior Lead Officer and Community Relations Unit
(213) 486-1164 (Office)
(213) 793-0735 (Cell)
(213) 489-7534 (Fax)
Follow on Twitter: @SgtFlanaganLAPD
Image of Estela Lopez as the evil queen of Skid Row is a deep transmogrification of a screenshot from this YouTube tutorial on how to dress up like Estela Lopez at your next Halloween party, and it, due to the extensive artistical reworkings imposed upon it by our basement full of captive artistical gnomes, is now ©2017 MichaelKohlhaas.Org.